Opportunism


In class we were discussing that it is typical for students to register for more than their optimal number of classes. This is so they can be opportunistic and drop a class in the future once they adjust to their schedule. It is also quite popular for students to drop a class once they receive the grades of their first midterm as the drop deadline is near this time. Hence if a student does not do well on the first midterm, the student is given a chance to drop rather than take ownership of the student not studying. By doing so many people lose out on space to register for a class. Students are given an incentive to hoard classes as the probability of getting caught is quite low. I feel this is an unfair practice that should be abolished. For example, I have to take Stat 400 to officially declare Statistics as a major. However, throughout the registration period there was no space. Albeit, if you check now there is more than 7 seats available. This shows me that 7 students were most likely being opportunistic. I currently do not behave this way (register for more classes then need be) as I feel it demotivates me from working hard. This is because I will have this thought in the back of my head, that I will eventually drop a class. Hence I am not going in with the thought of doing the best I can and promotes laziness and carelessness to me personally.

However, based on the situation this time I feel I will have to act opportunistically in the future. This is by getting a friend who is already registered in Stats to sign up for STAT 400 and then swap with me once I can register. I can also do this by contacting James Scholar students as they have early registration to classes. This is obviously not the most ethical solution, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I can not take the risk of not getting into STAT 400 next semester as I will have to prolong my duration at college by at least a year. This extra year results in more money spent on education and the opportunity cost of not receiving pay if I had worked instead. Hence, to a certain extent, I do not feel guilty by acting opportunistically in the future. This is currently the only solution I can see fit as even after asking the Stats department I did not receive a valid solution. They told me to just wait until someone drops out. However, when people do drop out, it is not possible for anyone to register as it is closed. At times it seems that being a ‘good citizen’ is not enough as in the real world you have to be selfish (survival of the fittest). This semester I acted like a ‘good citizen’ and did wait, but to no avail. Even after contacting the Stats department and explaining them my scenario, I was not in a better off position. Thus I believe it is necessary at times to act in the best interest of yourself. I also feel that the saying ‘good things comes to those wait’ is misunderstood. I believe for this to truly work you have to be selfless and not expect anything in return. For example, in this scenario, I waited patiently and diligently checked the registration page in hope that someone dropped out. However, if I truly believe that ‘good things come to those who wait’ I would expect to get a seat at the end. Hence, I am just setting myself up for disappointment if I blindly follow such sayings. I believe the registration department has to come up with a solution. Every year we hear that more students are being admitted to the U of I, but I never hear of more classes being offered or space increments. Certain classes have a lot of space, but this is not utilized as in Banner it states only 40 seats are available when easily 45-50 can be seated. Hence, I feel even if a person is not opportunistic usually, certain situations force opportunism to arise.  

Comments

  1. This post is inadequate in length, much below the required word limit of 600 words. If in the next 24 hours you write a full length post, I will read that. You will not get credit for the post in its current form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, you didn't ask whether the Stats department is being opportunistic if Stats 400 is always oversubscribed at the beginning of each semester. Why not offer another section of it given the sizable demand? We'll get at that type of questions some when we consider transfer pricing in a couple of weeks.

    I should also note, however, that some of the issue is the technology. When you register you register for all the classes at once. One can imagine, at least in theory. That students registered for one class at a time and then after those with highest priority got their first class, then other students would register for one class at a time. In this theoretical alternative, the first class you would register for is Stat 400 and there would likely be a seat for you under this alternative. So the alternative would seem fairer and prevent some of the opportunistic course hoarding behavior. But, I gather, it is not feasible given the current technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume the main reason to not offer another section is due to budget constrains like we discussed in class. I thought of having a section specifically for non-stat majors, but STAT400 is a requirement for multiple majors. I really like your idea of a new registration system, it reminds me of a draft pick style. That seems interesting, but like you said is not feasible at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering if you talked to the professor who teaches Stat 400, directly. I have needed to take several classes through college, and like you there have been a few times were the class was full. When this happened, I did two things. The first is send an email to the professor with all the necessary info (NETid, UIN, etc.…) the second is go to his office and so that I can ask if I could add the class. I would explain the situation, and say that since students are going to drop the class eventually, could I add it now while I still can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Future Risk

Triangle Arrangement